Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Vintage Furniture Makeover




I am very excited to share with you a project that I've just completed! This cabinet once belonged to my Grandma Mamie. I have always loved this cabinet for some reason ~ hmmm, maybe it was an early sign of my undiscovered love for vintage furniture! I was very thrilled to receive it twenty years ago and it is now approximately 63 years old.

The original color was white and I painted it blue. Recently I had the notion to paint it. I first painted it a robin's egg blue and I really didn't care for that color. So, I repainted it again! I painted it black and gave it a distressed look by highlighting it with dark brown paint. I love how the black and combination of brown make it look distressed.

Then, I knew the top of the cabinet needed something grand and elegant! I found the perfect piece - this beautiful gold ornate piece. When I saw this I knew exactly how it would look. I toned down the bright gold by painting it black, brown and then added a hint of red paint to make it look distressed.

Now, the fun begins! I had fun accessorizing it with lots of vintage and antique pieces. Adding a gorgeous tassel was the perfect embellishment! I just love the way it turned out!

No comments: